Saturday, January 22, 2011

Updates & My Baby Steps to Organization

I'll start with my updates...
Just when I thought life could not get more hectic...it did!  School started with an absolute bang as I walked into the classroom and saw that I was taking a class with a professor who I had in the past.  She is not a joke in any sense of the word.  I did an audible gulp, sat my tail down, and prayed to the graduate school gods for help.  I have two classes, Monday and Friday nights.  Yes, that is how I begin and end my work week!

If that is not enough, my school (along with most in Philly) are gearing up for the upcoming standardized testing madness aka the PSSA.  I had finally stuck to my little schedule and finished my lesson plan on Wednesday.  I was ready to rock-n-roll, but Mother Nature was too!  Snow day delays + Electrical issues=A crazy off week!!!

Ok, now on to organization...

I don't know about you, but I struggle with staying organized at both work AND home.  My teacher's desk has become what I despise, a dumping ground for both the important and miscellaneous.  I just have to do better!  So I'm taking baby steps, and I do mean baby steps to right this major teacher wrong. 

Soooo...in the spirit of "everything has a place", I started with a pesky little irritation I have.  LATE SLIPS!  These tiny pieces of paper find their way onto any flat surface in the classroom (not to mention in pockets and desks).  If it ends up on my forever-cluttered desk, it can take days for me to find it.  Okay, maybe not days, but you get the point.  I was sitting looking over my desk when I discovered a little mesh sticky note holder that is rarely used.  I was about to toss it in a bin when I had a lightbulb moment!


Now students just drop the late slips in here, and I can check them during my prep or lunch and rectify my roll book!  1 point for Mrs. Green!!!!!


I was feeling pretty good about myself, especially when my little kiddies starting dropping those pesky little passes in there like they've been doing it forever.

I decided to take these good feelings to the homefront.  Again, baby steps.  Since some of you are getting to know me, you have to know that I love, love, love jewelry....especially EARRINGS! I have a jewelry armoire courtesy of my fabulous husband, but I still find it difficult to keep track of my earrings.  Plus, they end  up all over the house.  I was watching a youtube natural hair video when the youtuber started talking about her earring holder.  She used a lace table runner and hung it on the wall and attached her earrings through the lace holes.  Well, I didn't have a lace runner and I wasn't going out to buy one, but I started to brainstorm things that I did have with holes in them.

BOOM! BANG! SIZZLE!

My next lightbulb moment hit me.  I took a piece a cardboard that was laying around from one of the various packages that I had delivered to the house (I'm an online shopping addict!).  I enlisted the help of my 15 month old to help me color the white side with colored pencils.  She loved it!  Next, I took a pair of taupe colored fishnets (why do I have this color?) and cut one of the legs off.  I stretched it over the cardboard, then used thumbtacks to attach it to my wall.



There you have it! My handy-dandy earring holder!  And yes, I've been a lot like my students making sure to put them right where they belong everyday just like I've been doing this forever.

Did I mention they are now out of the reach of my very active baby girl...SCORE!

This is Zuri's Umi...follow my chronicles!

No comments:

Post a Comment