Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve...3 years ago!

On this day 3 years ago I went out on a date with two brothers.  One was pleasantly talkative while the other was a quiet gentlemen.  The quiet gentlemen invited me on this outing.  He taught next door...his 4th grade class was right next to my 3rd grade class, and he often made several "trips" into my room to borrow miscellaneous items.  We had arranged to go out at Pre-Kwanzaa celebration taking place at our job.  Yaaay....I had a New Year's Eve date!

BUT....we forgot to exchange numbers and it was winter break...ugh!  My date night excitement was shattered, but then I called a co-worker (who is now going to marry my baby sister...lol) and passed on my number.  He saw the quiet gentlemen's brother at another engagement and passed on those lovely 7 digits and then...then...the phone rang and it was the quiet gentlemen!  Oh yeah!

New Year's Eve Date Night (circa 2008)
We saw Jaguar Wright at Warmdaddy's, had a couple of spirits at Marathon Grill, and ended our party-hopping at a house party. I talked and danced with the pleasantly talkative brother curious about why the quiet gentlemen stayed in the wings.  I mean, wasn't I fabu-licious (hey if Beyonce' can create a new word so can I!)...decked out in my tuxedo pants and backless halter top...I mean, wasn't I a walking "afro"-disiac!  Ummm...probably not since my giant afro has been straightened, slicked back, and had about 12 inches of fake hair hanging from it...yes, the coveted weave ponytail, honey!

But I digress...

I was getting concerned as the night wore on that the brother...the quiet gentlemen...that invited me only saw me as a well...friend.  The last time I fell in the friend zone I was in the 6th grade and Wayne (my big crush) decided that I was "too loud and outgoing" for him...yup, that's what he told me!

Anyway, I wasn't in the 6th grade I was a full blown (especially in the back) 28 yr old! What the heck was going on?

Moving forward...The new year of 2009 was brought in by cleaning up the vomit of the quiet gentlemen and what should have been a major turn-off made me feel protective.  I teased him that he couldn't get his new year's kiss now that his mouth tasted liked the digested contents of our wonderful dinner from Warmdaddy's.  His laugh and smile did something to my insides, but he made no move to connect with me...

Exiting the car I wondered what would become of this...the pleasantly talkative brother offered to take his brother's place for my new year's kiss, but in my heart I knew that kiss had a RESERVED sign on it.

Long story short...

That quiet gentlemen became my best friend, my confidante, my personal cheerleader, my spiritual partner, my support system, my provider, my protector, ....my husband!










Happy Anniversary love...who knew that a New Year's Eve date could turn into our forever?

This is Zuri's Umi...follow my choronicles!

No comments:

Post a Comment