Friday, July 8, 2011

Happy Earthday...the year of 5...the year of flight!

Glitter Text Graphics - http://www.sparklee.com



Never in all of my short years on this earth have I felt different on my Earthday….but this year something amazing is happening within.  I feel stronger, wiser, and dare I say…older!  Never have I been “fountain of youth” obsessed. To be clear, I don’t have a problem with aging. I am actually honored to have lived for 32 years on this wondrous planet. To be clearer, my soul has never felt young.  Though the middle child, I have always been mistaken for the oldest.  It used to bother me, but now I wear it like a badge of honor.  Older has brought with it clarity of Purpose.  The universe whispers: It’s time to soar…

Those who know me know that I do have a secret obsession with winged creatures…fairies to be exact.  I cannot remember when my love affair with them began or exactly why I fell in love with them.  Maybe it’s the mystery and magic of it all.  Maybe it’s their ability as tiny humans to do the unthinkable…FLY!

I’ve been eagerly awaiting the day when I would feel my wings to begin to sprout.  July 3, 2011 was that day…my 32nd year on this earth.


I have always been a believer in signs (and so thankful that my beloved husband under overstands this about me and life).  I am open to them.  I am a willing observer and listener carefully deciphering the signs that the universe needs me to understand.  I am open to receiving these messages.  So open in fact that my most recent sign and inspiration found its way in the form of Beyoncé.  I have to note here that I am not a drop dead Bey fan.  I will take this moment to pledge my unconditional love for my favorite artist in the whole wide world….MAXWELL!!!!!  However, from a performing arts perspective Ms. Knowles (or is it Mrs. Carter) definitely ranks at the top of the list.  While surfing YouTube, I came across her Year of 4 documentary.   It spoke to me…probably not in the way that it did to her diehard fans, but more in the spiritual sense.  There is something very powerful that happens when an artist takes the time to reflect and then create!  For her it is the year of 4…for me it is the year of 5…

32nd Earthday: 3 +2=5
Married on the 5th
5th year of teaching (6 total but one year out of the classroom)
And fifth year of my very own creation,VERVE, my youth dance theater program.


I feel empowered to begin to take flight. It is one thing for people to tell you that you are capable of soaring to great heights, but it’s quite another to really and truly believe it!  For the first time in my life, I believe whole-heartedly in my abilities.  Experiences catapulted me onto solid and fertile ground.  I’m going to continue to plant seeds, but then fly to the treetops to bask in the sun, absorb light, and reflect it all out to the world.  This daughter, sister, wife, Umi, dance director, student, educator (and fairy!) is ready to transcend both time and space…

“Reach for the moon…for if you fail you will land among the stars.”

Let’s soar!

This is Zuri's Umi...follow my chronicles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment